November is National Diabetes Month and in this episode, we bring on SaRene Brooks (Health Educator, Registered Dietitian, Lifestyle Coach) to discuss this epidemic. In addition to defining the two types of diabetes and how they can be managed, we also discussed prediabetes and why people should be tested for it.
- One in ten (more than 200,000) Utahns has diabetes.
- One in three have prediabetes and most don’t realize it. (Prediabetes is having blood sugar that is higher than normal but not high enough to be diagnosed as diabetes.)
- There are no symptoms of prediabetes
- Medical expenses for a person with diabetes are over 2 times higher than those without the disease.
- Having diabetes:
- Doubles the risk for heart attack and stroke
- Is the 7th leading cause of death
- #1 cause of kidney failure
- Making lifestyle changes can reverse prediabetes and lower the risk of Type 2 diabetes
- Physical activity of 150 minutes per week
- 5% weight loss
Things we talked about in this episode