Women, Infants and Children (WIC)

What is WIC?

The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) is a federally-funded program that serves pregnant, breastfeeding and postpartum women, infants and children up to age 5 who live in Summit County and who meet income guidelines.

The program provides a combination of nutrition education, supplemental foods, breastfeeding promotion and support, and referrals to health care.

WIC foods are selected to meet nutrient needs such as calcium, iron, folic acid, vitamins A & C, and protein.

Participants use the eWIC card to purchase food at approved retail grocery stores.

What does WIC Provide?

Foods for Infants (Birth-12 Months)

The WIC Program strongly encourages and provides support for breastfeeding. For babies who are not fully breastfed, iron-fortified infant formula is available for the first year of life. The state contracts with one formula company to provide formula at a reduced price. Infants may also receive infant cereal and infant fruits and vegetables during the first year.

Infants with specific medical diagnoses may receive a special formula with a prescription from a doctor.

Foods for Women and Children

Pregnant and postpartum women and children (under 5 years of age) participating in WIC receive food coupons for milk, cheese, eggs, cereals, peanut butter, dried beans, peas, and fresh and frozen fruits and vegetables.

Special formulas or nutritional supplements are also available to participating women and children who have certain medical conditions.

Nutrition Education

  • WIC nutrition education assists WIC participants with:
  • Infant and child nutrition
  • Breastfeeding education and support
  • Prenatal and postpartum nutrition
  • Anemia (iron deficiency)
  • Other nutrition-related health issues

High-Risk Nutrition Counseling

Registered Dietitians at WIC provide individualized high-risk nutrition counseling for participants with special medical conditions or nutrition-related health issues.

Health Care Referrals

WIC works closely with the healthcare community, receiving referrals from private and public health care providers and providing referrals as needed for health and social services.

WIC refers participants for immunizations, substance abuse counseling and treatment, prenatal care, smoking cessation, lead screening, the Healthy Kids/EI Child program, and more.

WIC encourages persons already receiving medical services to remain under their physicians’ care. WIC also encourages well-child visits and routine health and dental care.

Breastfeeding Promotion and Support

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breastfeeding for the first year of life. All WIC agencies have trained personnel ready to assist mothers with the basics of breastfeeding.

Many WIC agencies have breastfeeding peer counselor support programs that provide mother-to-mother counseling. In addition, WIC agencies provide educational resources and breast pumps for women meeting certain criteria.

Who Qualifies for WIC

To be on WIC, you must:

  • Live in Summit County, Utah. You do not have to be a US citizen.
  • Need to meet WIC income guidelines, see list below. Note: a person receiving Medicaid, the Family Employment Program (TANF) or Food Stamps already meets the income eligibility requirements.
  • Have a nutritional or medical risk.
  • Be in one of the following groups:
    • pregnant
    • breastfeeding
    • a woman who has just had a baby (or women within six months of a miscarriage)
    • an infant
    • child less than 5 years of age

Other Common Questions about WIC

Where do I apply for WIC?

You can apply for WIC at the local health department in your county. Click here for a list of WIC clinics in Utah.

What happens at a WIC appointment?

To apply for WIC, you must first make an appointment with the Summit County Health Department. Call your local clinic:

  • Coalville – 435-336-3234
  • Kamas – 435-783-3161
  • Park City – 435-333-1515
Summit County WIC Schedule
  • Coalville: 1st Monday & Tuesday of each month
  • Kamas: 1st Wednesday, Thursday & Friday of each month
  • Park City: Call ahead for clinic dates – 435-333-1515

At your appointment, you will need to bring the following information:

  • Proof of current income. You will need to bring current check stubs from all those that are employed in your family. Try to bring pay stubs from the last two checks. You may also bring your Medicaid card or a letter from Human Services showing how much you receive in Food Stamps or the Family Employment Program.
  • Proof of residency (address). This should be a utility bill or a rent/mortgage receipt with a street address printed on it.
  • Proof of identity. Bring identity for everyone who will be on the WIC program. You may bring a driver’s license, birth certificate, Medicaid card or call for other forms of ID.
  • Immunization record for all children.

Talk to the WIC clinic if you are having problems bringing any of the above information.

At the clinic, you will be asked many questions. Don’t worry, all information shared with the WIC clinic is confidential.

After a short interview process with WIC staff you will receive information that will help you to improve your family’s diet.  Ask the nutritionist any questions you might have.  She and all the WIC staff are there to help you.

Lastly, you will receive an eWIC card and a packet with a food card list. The WIC card is like a debit/credit card. Each card has a list of specific foods you can buy at the store. You cannot buy anything that is not listed on your card.

How do I use my WIC card?

You may shop at any store that has been approved as an Authorized WIC Vendor.

Many stores that are approved have a sign in the window. You may also ask the store manager or your clinic staff if you are not sure where to shop.

The eWIC card you receive will have a list of foods WIC has prescribed for you and other family members on the WIC program. Using your Food Card List, become familiar with the foods or brands that are authorized WIC foods.

The eWIC card can be used to purchase WIC foods in the same transaction when purchasing non-WIC foods. Before you begin to check out, tell the cashier you will be using your eWIC card, then follow the cashier’s instructions.

WIC Program Non-Discrimination Statement – Espanol a continuación

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.

Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the responsible state or local agency that administers the program or USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877- 8339.

To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at: https://www.usda.gov/sites/default/files/documents/USDA-OASCR%20P-Complaint-Form-0508-0002-508-11-28-17Fax2Mail.pdf, from any USDA office, by calling (866) 632-9992, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to USDA by:

  1. mail:

    U.S. Department of Agriculture

    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW

    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

  2. fax: (833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or
  3. email: program.intake@usda.gov.

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.


De acuerdo con la ley federal de derechos civiles y las normas y políticas de derechos civiles del Departamento de Agricultura de los Estados Unidos (USDA), esta entidad está prohibida de discriminar por motivos de raza, color, origen nacional, sexo (incluyendo identidad de género y orientación sexual), discapacidad, edad, o represalia o retorsión por actividades previas de derechos civiles.

La información sobre el programa puede estar disponible en otros idiomas que no sean el inglés. Las personas con discapacidades que requieren medios alternos de comunicación para obtener la información del programa (por ejemplo, Braille, letra grande, cinta de audio, lenguaje de señas americano (ASL), etc.) deben comunicarse con la agencia local o estatal responsable de administrar el programa o con el Centro TARGET del USDA al (202) 720-2600 (voz y TTY) o comuníquese con el USDA a través del Servicio Federal de Retransmisión al (800) 877-8339.

Para presentar una queja por discriminación en el programa, el reclamante debe llenar un formulario AD-3027, formulario de queja por discriminación en el programa del USDA, el cual puede obtenerse en línea en: https://fns.usda.gov/sites/default/files/resource-files/usda-program-discrimination-complaint-form-spanish.pdf, de cualquier oficina de USDA, llamando al (866) 632-9992, o escribiendo una carta dirigida a USDA. La carta debe contener el nombre del demandante, la dirección, el número de teléfono y una descripción escrita de la acción discriminatoria alegada con suficiente detalle para informar al Subsecretario de Derechos Civiles (ASCR) sobre la naturaleza y fecha de una presunta violación de derechos civiles. El formulario AD-3027 completado o la carta debe presentarse a USDA por:

  1. correo:

    U.S. Department of Agriculture

    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW

    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

  2. fax: (833) 256-1665 o (202) 690-7442; o
  3. correo electrónico: program.intake@usda.gov.

Esta institución es un proveedor que ofrece igualdad de oportunidades.

Contact Us

Colleen Blonquist, WIC Program Director, Summit County Health Department

650 Round Valley Drive, Park City, UT 84060
Phone: 435-333-1515 Fax: 435-608-4483

Links of Interest

WIC Health Channel and healthy messages.
USDA WIC Program
Utah Department of Health WIC Program
Baby Your Baby
The National Women’s Health Information Center