When you receive notice that a boil order has been lifted, take the following steps:
- Run all cold water faucet taps for at least 5 minutes.
- Begin with the lowest faucet in your home and open faucets one at a time, moving from the lowest floor of your home to the highest.
- After five minutes, turn off your faucets in reverse order, from highest to lowest.
- Hot Water Faucets: To clear hot-water pipes and water heater of untreated water, flush the hot water line for a minimum of 15 minutes for a typical household 40-gallon hot-water tank, 30 minutes for an 80-
gallon hot water tank or larger. Hot water is then safe to use for washing hands, and for handwashing of dishes, pots and pans, etc.
- Dishwasher: After flushing the hot water pipes and water heater, run your dishwasher on empty one time.
- Ice machines: Dispose of any ice from before or during the boil order and flush the water feed lines by running the ice maker for 24 hours and disposing of this batch as well. Wipe down the ice bin with a disinfectant.
- Water dispensers on fridges: Water dispensers from refrigerators should be flushed through at least one quart of water. If unsure of your dispenser’s capacity, refer to manufacturer specifications.
- Humidifiers: Discard any water used in humidifiers, Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP), oral, medical, or health care devices, and rinse the device with clean water.
- Water filters: Replace all water filters.
Food Service Establishments
When a food service establishment is notified that the boil water advisory has been lifted and the drinking water
supply is safe, the following actions need to be taken.
- Flush pipes throughout the facility by running each faucet with cold water for 5 minutes.
- Flush, clean, and sanitize appliances that use tap water (such as beverage dispensers, spray misters, coffee and tea urns, ice machines, glass washers, dishwashers) according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Run water softeners through a regeneration cycle.
- Flush hot water tanks.
- Run drinking fountains continuously for 5 minutes to flush the system.
- Replace and sanitize water filter cartridges according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Take proper steps to flush ice machines by following the manufacturer’s instructions, including:
- Throw out any remaining ice.
- Flush the water line to the machine inlet.
- Close the valve on the water line behind the machine.
- Disconnect the water line from the machine inlet.
- Open the valve and run 5 gallons of water through the valve.
- Dispose of the water.
- Close the valve.