Report a Foodborne Illness

Think something you ate might have made you sick? If so, then visit the new Utah Department of Health food-related illness website:

This online self-reporting system will allow the general public to report illnesses that may be related to food they consumed at home, restaurants, group gatherings, etc.

At, users can watch a brief video showing how the system works and complete a form indicating where food was consumed, what was eaten, and other potential high-risk exposures during the time period just before becoming ill.

All information submitted by users is confidential and will automatically be sent to the appropriate local health department. The information will be used by public health to determine whether food caused the reported illness and where the food may have originated. The sooner public health can receive the information and the more people they hear from, the more likely public health is to detect an outbreak, launch an investigation and stop it from spreading.

Summit County Health Department Reporting

If you suspect you have been exposed to a foodborne illness, please contact the Summit County Health Department at 435-333-1511. We will begin an investigation and try to help prevent the further spread of the illness. Please visit your doctor if necessary.

We do not provide medical services.

Various bacteria and viruses can cause illness. These disease-causing organisms can be spread when proper food handling procedures are not followed.

The most effective things you can do to prevent the spread of foodborne illness are washing your hands, avoid touching ready-to-eat foods with your bare hands, and do not prepare or handle food when you are ill. Keeping hot foods hot, cold foods cold, and avoiding cross-contamination are also important food safety procedures.

Please review the links below for information about specific illnesses and organisms.

Contact Us

Environmental Health Division, Summit County Health Department

650 Round Valley Drive, Park City, Utah 84060
Phone: 435-333-1511