Last night (10/21) both the ACIP (Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices) and the CDC Director determined the following:
- A need for a Moderna booster 6 months after the second shot for individuals age 65+, and 18+ with certain medical conditions, and those with high occupational risk such as healthcare workers, teachers, and first responders.
- A need for anyone receiving a J&J vaccine to receive a booster after 2 months.
- The ability to change the brand/type of vaccine that is received for the booster shot (crossover vaccination between Moderna, Pfizer, and J&J).
The Summit County Health Department is expecting a detailed written recommendation from the CDC followed by a recommendation from the Utah Department of Health on Friday, October 22. On Monday, we will immediately begin scheduling booster appointments during our normal clinics to administer these shots. Until then, individuals who are eligible for a booster vaccine can:
- Contact their local pharmacy for availability.
- Schedule an appointment at https://getmyshot.utah.gov/mobile.
- Sign up to be notified when appointments open at the Summit County Health Department by visiting https://vacc.me/booster.
At this time there are no updates to the 5-11 year-old vaccine timeline.
The Summit County COVID-19 Vaccine Hotline is available Monday-Friday 8AM – 5PM at 435-243-5320.