Summit County has developed a detailed list of the requirements for new restaurants in order to assist owners with thoroughly meeting our goals for a safe food establishment. Please refer to this document as you prepare for opening: Health Department Requirements

Please adhere to the following process:

1. Complete checklist and make an appointment to submit plans, fee, and all required documentation.

2. Plans and documents are required for the following:

  • Construction of the food service establishment
  • Conversion of an existing structure for use as a food establishment
  • Remodeling of a food establishment.
  • Contact the Health Department for change of ownership information.

Below is a list of necessary documents that must be completed and brought with you to your plan review:

Please allow at least 2 weeks for plan review.

3. The Health Dept. shall conduct one or more pre-operational inspections to assure the establishment is constructed and equipped in accordance with the approved plans. These inspections will not be performed prior to plan review approval. A final pre-opening inspection must be done prior to receiving food and opening.  Appointments can be arranged by contacting Amy Jones at 435-333-1502.

4. The yearly food establishment permit must be applied and paid for prior to the pre-opening inspection. This can be done at Permit approval requires a copy of your food safety manager certification.  Receipts are insufficient.  Class and course information can be found here.

5. All employees must obtain a Utah food handler permit. Class and course information can be found here.

6. Summit County business licensing requires approvals from:

  • Auditor
  • Sheriff
  • Health
  • Fire
  • Planning

For more information, you can call the County Clerk’s Office at 435-336-3204. The Health Department will not approve your business license until the pre-opening inspection has been completed.

7. Park City Business licensing will require Health Department approval. For information about licensing in Park City, you can call 435-615-5220.

8. You will need to contact Snyderville Basin Water Reclamation District for information about your grease trap.

For further information or restaurant requirements, please contact the Health Department at 435-333-1511.