When you are counting on your own two feet and not wheels, to get you around, pedestrian safety must be on everyone’s mind! Whether you walk to school or work, walk for exercise or only walk when you absolutely have to, everyone is a pedestrian. And just like motorists, pedestrians have rules to follow.
Pedestrian Rules of the Road
- Pedestrians are to use sidewalks whenever they are safely available.
- When sidewalks are unavailable, pedestrians must walk facing traffic as far to the left as possible.
- Pedestrians must obey traffic signals and/or traffic officers.
- At crosswalks where there isn’t a traffic control signal or officer, pedestrians have the right-of-way.
- If there aren’t any crosswalks, signs or signals, the pedestrian must yield the right-of-way to all vehicles.
- Regardless of the right-of-way, the driver is required by law to take great care to avoid “hitting” pedestrian.
Alyssa Mitchell – Health Educator, Summit County Health Department
650 Round Valley Drive, Park City, UT 84060
Phone: 435-333-1508 Fax: 435-333-1580