Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS
This week we chat with Health Educator Alyssa Mitchell about the warning signs and dangers of vaping. In this guide to vaping, parents will learn how to recognize vaping hardware, get a better understanding of the chemicals in e-juice and more.
“I want parents to be able to recognize these mods — look up what they look like, research the chemicals – these are very similar to chemicals found in regular tobacco products and they are potentially very dangerous. Have the conversation with your youth about these products, if they haven’t been exposed to them already they will be soon.”
Things we talked about in this episode:
- ENDS – Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems: E-Cigs, E-hookah, Vapes, Vape Pens, Mods, Tank Systems, Juuls
- Consist of Battery; Atomizer; and Cartridge
- Mods come in all shapes and sizes – some are simple and look like flash drives or pens; and some are quite large.
- What is in E-Juice: 4 basic chemicals: Nicotine; Propylene Glycol; Vegetable Glycerin and Flavoring
- Other chemicals found in E – Juice: Heavy Metals; Formaldehyde; Benzene; and others.
- Short-term effects – Buzz from nicotine
- Why are we concerned?
- In Utah:
- Since 2011, Utah youth use rates have tripled despite the law prohibiting sales to minors under the age of 19.
- Nearly 21% of teens in grades 8ththrough 12th have tried electronic cigarettes in Summit County. Nearly 10% are regular users.
- Youth are more likely to use e-cigarettes than any other tobacco product on the market.
- Nearly one-third of teens who used e-cigarettes in the past 30 days have never tried a cigarette.
- Youth who vape are twice as likely to smoke regular cigarettes compared to those who have never vaped.
- E-juice refill bottles have been measured to contain up to a gram of nicotine—almost 17 times the fatal dose for an adult.
- Little is known about the ingredients of the E-juice safety as far as inhalation.
- Adjustments can be made to increase nicotine level, size of the vapor cloud, etc..
- Overall quality of the mods and the e-juice contents.
- E-cigarettes can be used as a delivery system for a large number of drugs besides nicotine – including THC (the active drug in marijuana), alcohol, and other drugs.
Links and resources:
Leave A Comment